Monday, May 16, 2011

Singing Fool

I am writing this blog to document my life as a professional musician.

Looking back on my life, growing up in Roswell New Mexico was pleasant.  I am the oldest of 5 children of Pete and Elizabeth Walter.  Our family was very musical.  Mom and Dad owned a piano studio where they taught piano to many of the residence of Roswell.  Since our family was large, our daily routine was regimented.  My siblings and I were required to learn piano and a "second instrument" from age six on.  During my time in Roswell, I played piano, violin, trombone, and took voice lessons.  Our family also sang during the Christmas season, as a madrigal group, for our friends and neighbors.  In high school, I played one year in the band, but enjoyed the Roswell High Choir much more.  I was honored to be selected as one of the "Roadrunners " (a barbershop quartet) my junior and senior years.  The group travelled quite a bit and I gained valuable experience singing in front of crowds.   

In 1963 I went off the college.  I received a small scholarship from our church to attend McMurry College/University.   I was a frustrated athlete.  I knew my father was a good athlete, but he never had the time to coach me or attend many sporting events with me.  I was an average athlete, but had little success in organized sports.  As you know, the mid 1960's were a time of rebellion and I was determined to NOT be a musician.   I decided to pursue a degree in education, hoping to become a football coach someday.  At McMurry I did join the choir, but just for fun.

While in the choir (The Chanters), I met some guys who were starting a folk group.  The original group consisted of Jack Wilcox (McM head cheerleader) Jerrel Elliott, Kenneth Elliott, Sam Barnes, and myself. We called ourselves THE WINDJAMMERS. Our first performance was to be at the TIP Singsong on November 22, 1963.  The event was cancelled because of the JFK assassination earlier that day.   We were disappointed because we had rehearsed quite a bit and did not get to perform.  Jack decided to see if we could get a "paying gig".  Somehow he got us a job singing at the Abilene Downtown Petroleum Club once a month.  Kenneth Elliott left the group because he had already joined the US Marines earlier that year.  Sam Barnes left the group in the spring of 1964 when he did not come back to college.  Jack, Jerrel and I were having success singing at various venues around Abilene.  One day, Dr.Gordon Bennett (President of McMurry College) asked us if we would promote McMurry when we performed.  Of course we agreed and received some compensation towards our college fees.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Uncle Clark---I'm so glad you are documenting your musician life. I look forward to reading it! I have vague memories as a child traveling to the beach to see you perform. I also seem to remember a risque hat you used to wear with a bikini top on it?? ;) -Meg

Martha said...

So glad you are doing this blog---should be interesting for everyone--even after these many years you still surprise me --love you-Martha

socalsuburbanlife said...

Wow.. I can't wait to read more stories. Great Job!!

NJ said...

LOVE the back-stories and the history... please chronicle more.

cwalter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Freddasharp @ Gmail.com

cwalter said...

I'm glad you looked at my blog. I hope it brought back some memories for you.

Willie Mildew said...

I will always treasure the times in the 589th with you 3 guys!