Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Windjammer Changes


In 1966 a new freshman from Borger Texas came to McMurry.  His name was Pat Hamilton.  He joined the Chanters and immediately made an impression on Jerrel and I.  He was the first uninhibited person I had ever met.  He was a free spirit who reminded me of Robin Williams, and he could sing beautifully.  He had tremendous stage presence and in the summer of 1966 he won a spot at Six Flags as a single performer.   That summer Jack lived at home with his parents in Irving while working with us at Six Flags.  Jerrel and I asked Pat to stay with us in an apartment we rented in Arlington Texas while we all worked at Six Flags.  As the situation developed, Jerrel and I asked Pat to join the WINDJAMMERS, since Jack was graduating from McMurry in the fall.  Needless to say it was a rough breakup.  Jack went on to form a group called "The Shoppe" with his brother.  They were very successful as a country-rock band for many years.

Looking back on the transition, I can say that our act was truly enhanced when Pat joined our group.  We decided to forget folksinging and went to electric instruments.  With Pat, our act turned into singing with comedy.  Our bookings continued through 1967.  Jerrel and I were looking at graduating from McMurry and fearing "The US Army Draft" which was looming in our future.  In the Summer of 1967, we did a concert at Baylor University in Waco which was very well received.  After the concert a man named Gene Northway asked us "what is your draft status?"  We told him we were going to break up because we knew we were going to be drafted.  (We were physically fit and college graduates.  There was no lottery system in those days).  Well, Gene had a friend in the Pentagon in Washington DC.

3 comments:

Martha said...

By this time the group was in high demand on the weekends. I played lots of solitaire in the dorm. When I could, I went with the group on the weekends. This meant I needed to cut some Friday afternoon classes--this did not go well with my parents. I flunked history--Clark's major--he just couldn't understand how anyone could not love and learn history. To me being with the group was much more interesting than learning about the past. We drove back at ungodly hours and speeds to get me back into the dorm as these were the rules back in the
60's.

Martha said...

The addition of Pat to the group was icing on the cake. This also brought into our lives Cindy and Pat. We girls learned to adapt to this life style at an early time and few could "get it". We were individuals and couples - yet all different and somehow it worked. What we had in commmon was our beliefs and goals for our future together. This carried us through the highs and lows of our road together.

Connie Kaplan said...

This was when I got to know everyone. The three guys and Martha were in Chanters, as was I, so we really had fun on tour that year. Unfortunately we had to leave Cindy and She-Pat back at the campus. I remember that He-Pat and I greeted everyone on the bus every morning with our little Lady Bird and Lyndon routine which started with my best Lady Bird voice on the bus pa system saying, "Hi and Good Morning to You!"

The Windjammers were such an important part of campus life during those days, and the guys themselves were such outstanding people - everyone claimed them as "my best friends."

Pat's mom and mine were best friends since their days at McMurry a few decades earlier, so I'd known him all my life. Adding the other guys and their beautiful ladies to my "best friends" category totally enriched my life!