Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Windjammer Early Years

Jack, Jerrel, and I were quite busy performing at assemblies in many of the high schools near Abilene. We were able to get into a recording studio in Dallas and produce our first 45 RPM record "Joshua" and the flip side "Let It Be Me". Our next record was a song called "The Drifter" and the flip side was "The Red Rose". Jerrel sang the lead on "The Drifter" which got major airplay and really helped our bookings.  We were actually screamed at by young audiences during this time.   We were full-time college students, but very busy on the weekends. We were selling our records from the stage. We travelled in Jerrel's '57 Ford sedan which meant that whoever was riding in the back seat had to lay down under my bass fiddle. We performed with two microphones and converted stereo speakers using the amplifier from a tape recorder which meant the every performance was recorded.  I believe those recordings made us much more accurate singers.

In the Spring of 1965, we auditioned and won a job for the summer show at Six Flags Over Texas.
In early 1966 we were selected as one of the acts on the state-wide CBS Television show called "Campus Talent 66". It was a big deal on campus when the CBS affiliate station in Houston (KHOU) visited McMurry to film our performance.

In the Spring of 1966, we accepted an invitation from the management of Six Flags (we did not have to audition) to again perform for the summer at Six Flags.  Some of the people that were performing with us were:  Jay Johnson, a ventriloquist who later starred on the sitcom "Soap".  Betty Buckley, who later starred on Broadway in "Cats".  Jane Hitch who was Miss Oklahoma in the Miss America pageant.  Micky McClelland who later became a Playboy Playmate.  Cissy King, who later danced regularly on the Lawrence Welk Show.

3 comments:

Martha said...

Clark has figured out followers can leave comments so here goes my side of the story.

I fell in love with Clark's voice the first time I heard him sing!
I was also in Chanters with "The Windjammers" and I was in total awe of those 3 guys. The story of how I got Clark to notice me is another blog--but let's just say I wrangled myself into sitting near him on the Chanters choir tour. He was showing off his card tricks and I was totally impressed.
Our first date was 10 days long--a choir tour was never so much fun.

Connie Kaplan said...

Martha fell in love with Clark, but I fell in love with anyone who was sitting next to me at a Windjammers concert. Even when I was in high school just before I came to McMurry, the most romantic date in West Texas was going with a sweetheart to a Windjammers concert. Their voices still echo in my head sometimes when I hear one of the songs they used to sing on an "oldies" station. Who doesn't agree that Jerrel sang "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" better than the Bill Medley? And no one - not even the Beatles - could sing "She is Leaving" better than Clark Walter. I'm just saying'. . .

Unknown said...

I met Clark and Jerrel my freshmen year at McMurry College in 1963. I used to go to the ball room of the student center and watch the Windjammers practice. In the fall of that year McMurry was having a Shindig and I had a date with Clark to go to the Shindig which was held in our student center. The Shindig was cancelled because of the death of JFK and a senior Bible Instructor from the campus. Clark and I went on the date, and this was before Martha. Martha was not at MCM yet. We did not go to the Shindig but to a guy named Doc's house. It was a strange date, because everyone was still in shock about the death of the President. So I was a groupie from that time on.
The summer between the freshman and sophomore year, I purchased the bass fiddle that Clark played before he changed to the electric bass. I paid around $1.00 for the bass. I bought it from an orchestra director that I had in high school. I thought it was a great deal because it was in fairly good condition. I cleaned it up and oiled it with lemon oil and waited for the boys to pick it up. Unfortunately New Mexico had a flash flood that summer, and the bass became a boat. My brother saved it and the rest is history. Clark became the bass player.
I introduced Jerrel to Cindy, his wife, and told him he should marry her, and low and behold he listened. I cherished the friendship I shared with all the Windjammers and their wives. They were indeed the best group I have ever heard. Their unique sound was unbelievable. I still remain their number one groupie.
September 11, 2014.